What paperwork will I need?

You will need a waste transfer note that will describe your waste and accompany it when it is passed on to your waste contractor. This is your evidence that the waste was passed on and that it was adequately described.

A waste transfer note typically consists of four parts:

  • A description of the waste and the quantity that is to be collected
  • Your details (name, address etc.)
  • The details of the person you are handing your waste to. You will need to include name, address and any registration numbers applicable (e.g. waste carrier’s registration number).
  • Details of the transfer (place, date, time).

The waste transfer note will need to be signed by both parties (you and the person who is taking your waste) at the moment of transfer. You will then keep one copy of the transfer note and give another copy to the other party.

Waste Transfer notes identify the waste being transferred from your business to the waste contractor using European Waste Codes (or EWC) as laid out in the following table. Anyone inspecting the waste transfer notes for your business would expect to see at least two codes for General waste and Mixed Recyclables.

Material  EWC code  EWC description
General waste  20 03 01 Mixed municipal waste
Mixed recyclables 15 01 06 Mixed packaging
Glass 15 01 07 Glass packaging
Paper 20 01 01 Paper & cardboard
Cardboard packaging 15 01 01 Paper & cardboard packaging
Cans 15 01 04 Metallic packaging
Plastic bottles or product packaging 15 01 02 Plastic packaging
Food Waste 20 01 08 Biodegradable kitchen & canteen waste

Sample transfer notes can be found on SEPA’s website.